200hr HARROGATE YOGA TEACHER TRAINING
(Yoga alliance accredited) Sep 2022 – July 2023
With James (primary teacher) and Annelize Ferreira (supporting teacher) starting September 3rd 2021.
The goal of this Teacher training is to educate and train students how to teach a Hatha Yoga, Hath-flow Yoga and Vinyasa style Yoga classes which are the primary styles James teaches on a weekly basis.
The intention is also to provide weekly coaching to students to help them develop and grow as individuals assisting them to adopt a yogic lifestyle looking at diet, Ayurveda, meditation, personal philosophy, self-healing etc.
Therefore it is not necessarily only for those who want to be teachers but also for those who are looking to expand their knowledge in all areas of health, wellbeing and yoga. James will provide coaching over the 11 month period to assist students reach their desired goals.
James lived and studied in India for 5 years completing his MA in Indian Philosophy in Varanasi, over a 3 year period. He will be the designated teacher for the TTC, teaching the majority of the syllabus. He will be assisted by Annelize Ferreira, a highly qualified physiotherapist, who will teach part of the Anatomy and Physiology.
Course requirements and details
Students will preferably have 18 months Yoga experience if they intend to teach Yoga after the course. Beginners will be considered and all students will be expected to attend a weekly timetabled class with James during the year.
The course will take place on Fridays, 10.30am-4pm, with a 30 minute lunch break (equalling 5h hours pr day). It will run for a total of 36 Fridays which equals 180 contact hours and 25 hours of non-contact/self study running up until the end of July 2023. We will take breaks around most of the major holidays and half terms to work around those participants who have children in schools whilst still reaching our 200 hours. We will not be able to work exactly to the Summer and Easter holidays due to the need to meet the hours required for the course.
The course will include full instruction on how to teach an Asana class going through, warm up, classical and Astanga based Sun salutations, standing, seated, twists and balance poses, back bends and inversions with modifications and adaptions. And how to sequence and present a class of Hatha, Hatha Yoga and Flow Yoga.
Also including: Pranayama, Regular meditation, Diet and Yogic Lifestyle according to Ayurveda and Yogic Philosophy.
With Annnelize you will learn Anatomy and Physiology, Science of Movement and grounding, Breathing for performance and Mechanics of breath.
Helen Dempster will introduce pregnancy Yoga and Yin Yoga.
This will be an excellent course with highly accredited and qualified teachers.
If you would like more information and to see the full syllabus/dates or to sign up please contact James on firstname.lastname@example.org or make an enquiry below. There are no refunds unless the course is cancelled.
Early Bird Cost: £2950 if booked before August 2nd 2022. Otherwise £3200.
Techniques, Training and Practise:
James will cover the 5 major areas of Asanas – standing poses, forward bends, backbends, twits and inversions. Students will also learn how to structure a class eg warm up, sun salutations, standing poses, mat poses and final relaxation. He will teach both classical Hatha Yoga and Astanga Yoga based sun salutations.
We will focus on correct alignment and how to adjust each other’s which will also assist in learning about the intricacies and alignment of an Asana. We will also be covering Modifications, Contradictions and Counter poses, Pelvic Alignment and lower back health.
We will also cover Pranayama, Meditation and Chanting. Techniques covered include Nadi Shodhana, Kapala Bhati, Gayatri mantra and Mindfulness.
Anatomy and Physiology:
With Annelize Ferreira, Anatomy and Physiology, Breathing and Movement
Applied Anatomy and Physiology 101
- Applied bone and muscle anatomy
- Myofascial and cellular physiology
- Planes of movement
- Basic biomechanical assessment and kinetic chain approach: Shoulder girdle, Lumbo-pelvic-hip complex, foot foundation
- Systems: Neuro (Pheripheral/Autonomic), Cardio, Respiratory, Vascular, Endocrine
- Most common pathology and injury patterns
Science of movement in Yoga: From the floor up
- Biomechanical and scientific principles of movement and loading in Yoga
- Motor control and recruitment patterns
- Ground Reaction Force principles and how it relates to Yoga
- Tensegrity and its applied function to Yoga
Mechanics of Breath/Respiration
- Muscles of breathing and their applied function
- Motor control and breathing
- Autonomic nervous system and breathing, Vagus nerve
- Breathing quality assessment: apical, thoracic and diaphragmatic breathing patterns, breath wave, Hi-Lo testing
- Breathing and the hand
- Breathing practical
2. With James – Chakras and the Subtle Body
James will teach an introduction to the Chakra system and the subtle body looking at different Asanas to activate the Chakras.
3. Non contact hours, summary of A&P with Annelize:
Yoga Philosophy, Ethics and Lifestyle:
Texts/seminars covered by James will be
- The History of Yoga
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Bhagavad Gita
- Hatha Yoga Pradapika
- Ayurveda and Yogic lifestyle seminars (Introduction to Doshas and Avurvedic Principles, Diet. Yogic Lifestyle, planning your daily schedule for sadhana).
- NCH – essay, building an Ayurvedic/Yogic lifestyle
- NCH – essay, How Indian Philosophy can be integrated into your teaching and classes.
Seminars on Marketing and business aspect of being a Yoga teacher.
Teaching how to develop communication skills, demonstration assisting and correcting will be included in the afternoon sessions. We will also cover Adjustments, Modifications, Contradictions and counter poses.
NCH – students create their own sequences and hand in for review
Students will have plenty of time to practise teaching classes, with ample time for giving and receiving feedback.
Non contact Hours:
Already mentioned. Essays written on
- Building an Ayurvedic/Yogic lifestyle
- Summary of Anatomy and Physiology
- Integrating Indian philosophy into your class
- Researching and preparing to create your own sequence in Hatha or Flow class
- Revision/preparation for final exam
No refunds upon payment of course.